- September 2014
- 0 Comments
With the year’s cooling season nearly over and heating season only a couple months away, it’s time for northern Indiana homeowners to start thinking about fall HVAC system maintenance. Here are some of the best reasons to have a fall HVAC inspection, as well as background on what you can expect to happen during maintenance.
Why Have Fall HVAC System Maintenance?
- A well-maintained furnace performs efficiently and effectively, providing the most heat for the lowest cost. Repair costs are kept at a minimum.
- Maintenance ensures the heating system works properly without malfunctions or breakdowns during the heating season. All functions, including indoor air filtration, will be improved.
- Maintenance helps the furnace last longer, giving you an increased functional life for the equipment and reducing the possibility that you’ll need a complete system replacement.
What to Expect From Fall HVAC System Maintenance
- Air filter changes: A clean air filter helps keep indoor air free of particulates and preserves the airflow the system needs to function. Dirty air filters are a prime source of HVAC breakdowns.
- Lubrication of motors, belts and moving parts: All moving parts should be lubricated to keep them working smoothly.
- Testing and calibration of thermostat and system controls: The thermostat should be calibrated to ensure it’s receiving accurate temperature readings. System controls should be tested and adjusted or repaired.
- Checking function and safety of combustion and exhaust systems: In fuel-burning furnaces, burners and combustion chambers should be checked, cleaned and tested. Components such as heat exchangers should be checked for damage. Tests should be made for carbon monoxide leakage. Exhaust systems and flues should be inspected to ensure safe venting of dangerous fumes and gases.
- Checking and tightening of components and electrical connections: Electrical connections should be cleaned and tightened. Any loose components or parts should be tightened or repaired.
Meyer’s provides high-quality HVAC sales, service and maintenance throughout the northern Indiana communities of Gary, Munster, Highland and Griffith. Contact us today for more information on fall HVAC system maintenance and for the maintenance, inspection and repair services that will ensure a warm and comfortable winter in your home.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com