- May 2013
- 0 Comments
Is your cooling equipment ready to run efficiently and effectively this summer? Staying current with your annual A/C maintenance is the only way to be certain. By completing a few simple do-it-yourself tasks and hiring a trusted HVAC professional, you can work as a team to ensure that both you and your wallet will be comfortable this summer.
What can I do?
A few do-it-yourself techniques can go a long way in keeping your air conditioner in good shape. You should:
- Check your air filter: Dirty air filters are the leading cause of air conditioner problems and breakdowns. Change your filter before you first turn on your A/C this spring. If your HVAC technician has already tuned up your system, you don’t have to do this yourself, as it’s part of the service call. During the cooling season, check the filter monthly, and change it as needed.
- Clean your outdoor condensing unit: Clear all debris including grass, weeds and leaves away from the A/C’s condensing unit in your yard, as objects caught in the fins can reduce system efficiency. It’s smart to hose down the until at regular intervals throughout the cooling season.
- Clear your indoor vents: Make sure that none of your home’s vents or grilles are blocked by furniture. You want the conditioned air to circulate freely.
What should my technician do?
Once you’ve completed the DIY tasks, you should hire a professional HVAC technician for a checkup. During A/C maintenance, he or she should:
- Verify the proper amount of refrigerant and check for leaks if the level is low.
- Inspect all electrical connections.
- Check the thermostat for functionality.
- Tighten all loose connections.
- Lubricate moving parts.
- Measure airflow across the evaporator coil.
- Inspect the fan belts and oil motor for tightness/wear.
What are the benefits?
Staying on top of HVAC maintenance can produce a number of benefits including:
- Improved system efficiency, resulting in lower cooling bills.
- Reduced likelihood of a stressful and costly A/C breakdown.
- Assurance that your system will operate safely.
- Extended lifespan for your cooling system.
- Warranty protection in newer equipment, as coverage is often contingent on regular maintenance.
To schedule a professional to handle your A/C maintenance, please contact us at Meyer’s Heating & Cooling. We are proud to serve residential and commercial customers in northwest Indiana and south Chicagoland.