Owning a pet is a wonderful and fulfilling experience for many and, oftentimes, our furry friends are very much considered members of the family, However, they can also help create some problems for your heating and cooling system. If your pets are shedding, chances are you have quite a bit of dander build-up in your home as well.
Maintaining Your HVAC System When You Have a Pet
HVAC maintenance is especially critical for pet owners. Fur and dander could end up in your system, ultimately spreading it and clogging your filters.
Here are some tips on how to address this issue:
- Filters are essential for preventing pet dander, debris, and dust from getting in your furnace and air conditioner. If your pet is shedding, you will have to change your AC filter at least once a month, even if your pet is well-groomed. Doing so will prevent the system from getting clogged up.
- Fur and pet dander can back up your air ducts. If the walls of the duct work are clogged, it can substantially limit the amount of air your system can push through, which will reduce its efficiency and increase costs. Therefore, it would be wise to schedule annual air duct cleaning to wash out pet dander, debris, and other materials that could get lodged in. If your home has a lot of dust even when none of the windows are open, this is a strong indication that you should have your air ducts cleaned.
- Whether you opt for a whole-home air purifier or choose a room-by-room system, air purifying can improve your home’s air quality and keep pet dander from ever getting to your HVAC system.
- Although there is no substitute for cleaning and scheduling regular maintenance for your HVAC system, grooming your pets can help minimize shedding. Even non-shedding pets have dander, so be sure to schedule a grooming for them as well.
- Lastly, hiring a professional to perform regular preventative maintenance on your HVAC system will ensure that your vents are cleaned and everything is working smoothly and efficiently.
Call Meyer's Companies, Inc. for Dependable Home Services
There is no reason why having a pet should limit the lifespan of your HVAC system. At Meyer's Companies, Inc., our team will provide the regular maintenance you need to ensure your system is running smoothly and efficiently.
Contact us today at (219) 240-0610 for the reliable services you need to maintain your HVAC system. We also provide 24-hour emergency services.