With the summer months quickly approaching, it is important to make sure your home’s air conditioner (AC) is ready for the hot weather. Preparing your AC before summer arrives ensures that you won't get stuck in the heat with an inefficient system or worse yet—no cooling at all!
Whether you're a homeowner that wants to get ahead of any possible issues or just checking up on your existing systems, this blog post can help guide you through the basics of preparing your home's AC for summer.
How to Prepare Your Home’s AC for Summer
The following are a few steps homeowners can take to prepare their home’s air conditioning unit for summer weather:
- Check the air filters and clean or replace them as needed. Maintaining a comfortable and healthy home means taking care of the small details, such as checking your air filters regularly. These unsung heroes of your HVAC system help to keep the air in your home clean and free of contaminants. Over time, however, they can become clogged with dirt and debris, which can impede their ability to filter the air properly. That's why it's essential to check your air filters regularly and replace them when necessary. By doing so, you can ensure that your HVAC system is functioning efficiently, and that you and your family are breathing clean, fresh air.
- Clear any debris from around the outside condenser unit. The outside condenser unit is an essential component of your home's HVAC system, but it can easily become obstructed by debris, such as leaves, dirt, and grass clippings. Neglecting to remove these impediments can result in a loss of efficiency, increased energy costs, and even system failure. To prevent these issues, it's crucial to regularly clear any debris from around the condenser unit. This not only ensures optimal performance, but also extends the lifespan of the unit, saving you money in the long run.
- Make sure all vents are clear of obstructions. It's easy to overlook the ventilation system in our homes, but it plays a crucial role in maintaining the air quality and temperature. That's why it's important to take a moment to make sure all vents are clear of obstructions. Dust, debris, and even furniture can block airflow and cause your HVAC system to work harder than it needs to. By ensuring that your vents are clear, you can improve the efficiency of your AC system, save money on energy costs, and breathe easy knowing that you're creating a healthy living environment for you and your family.
- Have a professional inspect and service the AC unit if necessary. As the weather heats up, it's important to ensure that your AC unit is functioning properly. Don't wait until it's too late. If you notice any strange noises, leaks, or a lack of cool air, it may be time to have a professional inspect and service your AC unit. A maintenance checkup can help identify any potential issues and ensure that your system is running efficiently, saving you money on your energy bill in the long run. With the help of an experienced technician, you can enjoy cool, comfortable air all summer long.
- Change the settings on your thermostat to maximize energy efficiency. Keeping our homes comfortable can often result in increased energy bills, but there are ways to maximize energy efficiency without sacrificing comfort. One simple change we can make is adjusting the settings on our thermostats. By lowering the temperature during the colder months and raising it during the warmer months, we can limit the amount of energy our HVAC system consumes. Additionally, programming our thermostats to automatically adjust when we’re not home can further reduce energy usage. Not only will these changes save money on energy bills, but they also contribute to a more sustainable environment.
- Consider upgrading to an energy-efficient AC unit for greater savings down the road. Energy-efficient air conditioners use less electricity, which directly translates to lower utility bills. The initial investment may seem steep, but the savings over time will more than make up for it. Plus, with eco-friendly options becoming more widely available, choosing to upgrade to an energy-efficient AC unit has never been easier.
For more information about preparing your home’s AC for summer, AC repair, or AC installation, call Meyer’s at (219) 240-0610 or reach out to us online today. We offer discounts and financing options!