Gas Fireplace Troubleshooting
While gas fireplaces are usually an efficient way to heat your home, sometimes they act up and cause problems. Fortunately, most gas fireplace issues require nothing more than a little troubleshooting. Try these suggested fixes to get your gas fireplace working normally again.
- Check the breaker box and reset any tripped breakers you run across.
- Open the gas valve if it’s closed to restore gas flow. If this doesn’t do the trick, check your propane supply or ensure the natural gas lines to your home is operating correctly.
Pilot Light Failure
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to relight the pilot.
- A strong draft can blow out the pilot light. To prevent it from happening again, make sure the vent cap is secure. Repair or replace it if necessary.
- If the gas fireplace still refuses to light or stay lit, the wiring or thermopile may be damaged. Contact a professional for help.
- Make sure the thermostat is set properly.
- Hire a service technician to clean the dirty pilot light orifice or burner jets.
- Test the circuitry to ensure the voltage isn’t low.
- Test and potentially replace the thermocoupler.
- Clean the fireplace, remove chimney obstructions and clean the flue.
- If you smell burning wires or an odor you suspect is gas, shut off the fireplace, vent the house and consult a professional.
- Adjust the flame to counter low rumbling noises.
- Clean the burners in response to roaring sounds.
- Repair or replace the blower, if your fireplace has one, to get rid of grinding or shrieking.
Abundance of Soot
- Adjust the airflow according to the manufacturer’s instructions to increase oxygen flow and decrease gas flow. This causes the flame to take on a bluish tint, but if excess soot is a problem, the less authentic look could be worth it.
- Conduct a chimney inspection and remove any bird nests or other blockages you find.
You can perform many of these tips yourself. For any troubleshooting tips that seem over your head, contact a capable Meyer’s professional today. Our experience serving Griffith residents dates back to 1951.