The Different Causes of Electrical Issues in a Home
If your home is more than a few decades old, chances are it's due for a rewiring. While that may sound like a big (and expensive) job, the truth is that updating your home's electrical system is vital to keeping your family safe.
Outdated wiring can lead to all sorts of problems, including electrical fires. In this blog, we'll explore some of the most common causes of electrical issues in the home and how to fix them. Keep reading to learn more!
1. Old Wiring
One of the most common causes of electrical problems in the home is old wiring. Over time, wiring can become frayed or damaged, which can lead to shorts and other issues. If you live in an older home, it's a good idea to have an electrician come out and take a look at your wiring. They'll be able to tell you if it needs to be replaced or if it can just be repaired.
2. Burning Smells
If there’s a burning smell coming from your outlets or light fixtures, there's a good chance that your wiring is overheating. This is usually caused by loose connections or damaged insulation. For this problem, it's important to call an electrician right away as it could be a sign of an impending fire.
3. Discolored Switches
If you have discolored switches on your walls, this is another sign that your home's electrical system is outdated. When switches become discolored, it's often because they're not getting enough ventilation. This problem can typically be fixed by installing new switch plates. However, if the problem persists, you may need to have your circuits updated.
4. Blown Fuses
Another common electrical issue is blown fuses. This happens when there is too much electricity flowing through a circuit, causing it to overheat and trip the fuse. A blown fuse will need to be replaced with a new one before electricity can flow through the circuit again. It's important to note that if you frequently blow fuses, it could be a sign of a more serious problem, such as an electrical short or overloaded circuit. If this is the case, you'll need to call an electrician to diagnose and fix the problem.
5. Flickering Lights
Flickering lights can be caused by anything from a loose connection to a faulty bulb. If you notice your lights flickering, check the bulbs first and then check the connections. If they seem fine, then there may be an issue with the electrical panel.
6. Sparking or Damaged Outlets
Outlets can become damaged due to wear and tear, extreme weather, or even rodents chewing on the wires. If you notice any damaged outlets in your home, be sure to have them replaced immediately.
7. Loose Connections
One of the most common reasons for flickering lights is loose electrical connections. These can occur at either the light fixture itself or at one of the connection points along the circuit. Connection points can become loose due to factors like age, rust, or corrosion. If you have a loose connection, you'll typically see the flickering happen when the light is turned on or off.
8. Loose or Corroded Wiring
Over time, wiring can become loose or corroded, causing it to become a fire hazard. If you notice any loose or corroded wiring in your home, it's important that you don’t try to fix it yourself. Electrical wiring is a job that requires professional attention so that you don’t start an electrical fire or cause further damage.
Safe and Reliable Electrical Repair in Griffith
If you're experiencing any of the problems listed above, it's important to call our team at Meyers Companies, Inc. at (219) 240-0610 right away for your electrical service. These problems could be signs of serious issues with your home's electrical system. By taking care of these problems now, you can avoid bigger (and more expensive) problems down the road.